Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Day Eleven: Werk Werk Werk

Today we worked. All day. Because my group just watched our presentation yesterday, we had only 24 hours to put our whole presentation together, so today was pretty intense. We met up around 10:30 on Augsburg's campus and we checked out a room in the library to work. I thought it was very weird that there were windows in this small room, but we did not have the power to open or close them... Instead, some higher power let the shades down automatically when it supposedly got too hot or bright... I wish I knew who was controlling those or if it was just a timer.

We were given lunch vouchers for the mensa (the place with the awesome tray lift), but we missed lunch completely! I thought it would be like here, if you miss lunch hour, you can still find some crappy food there to eat. But when we went (literally 5 minutes after lunch ended), everything was completely empty. I guess there's a downside to this efficiency thing... We ended up having lunch at 3:00 in the other cafeteria; I got white pasta and we ate outside. I learned that hot food and the outside heat are not friends. Still delicious, but it was crazy hot out.

Then we presented at 5:00. We went fourth out of the five, which was a killer to have to sit through three 20 minute presentations before we even went. Very nerve racking. But overall, I think our presentation went really well! We had rehearsed as a group so many times that everyone knew exactly what they were saying and how they wanted to say it without reading directly from a card. We all had an equal part and contributed the same amount to the project, and it worked out fantastically! Actually, every group did a fantastic job! We all put a lot of work in and in the end, I think it was completely worth it!

Well. This is my slide that I talked about. I learned what R&D is then presented on it a week later.
Afterwards, we went to the grocery store to buy a bottle of champagne for everyone to split to celebrate being done with such a stressful project! We had dinner at yet another Italian place, but it was on the school campus. I got plain spaghetti because I couldn't remember the last time I had it! Yummm. Then after, we hung out at a Mexican restaurant called Enchilladas because some of the kids did not go to the Italian place for dinner.

Wow this was a boring post... I don't even  have good pictures! What else can I say? Nothing happened!!! I'll make a few quick notes of things I've noticed...

First, where are all the condiments!? I've seen ketchup (not Heinz, I might add) maybe 3 times total. And mustard that one time with the bread. But besides that, there's no mayo or ranch (I found out that most Germans don't even know what ranch is) or peanut butter! Those are some things I'll look forward to having when I go home. But the whole no condiment thing leaves for very dry sandwiches...

Also, the dishware here is either extremely big or extremely small! I think the real portion size is somewhere between the two dish sizes but no one has that dish size! In the hotel, the bowls are probably a cup, but in some restaurants, I've been served in bowls that should probably be serving bowls. I don't know what the deal with that is.

Veronica's Struggle of the Day:
Despite this being a boring day, I still struggle. I wanted to be a good citizen and recycle the plastic bottles from lunch (did I mention you get money for it?), so I went to the recycling machine and followed the instructions clearly on how to put the bottle in. Suddenly it started beeping and I freaked out and ran away. I challenged my fear 2 minutes later and realized I needed my friend's student ID to put the money onto...

No comments:

Post a Comment