Friday, May 13, 2016

Day Six: It's Like Disney World, But Not

I thought we were meeting at 11:00 this morning. Turns out the bus was leaving at 11:00. Dr. Feick told the bus driver that everyone was there, as I approached the bus. I got on, thinking I was a whole 3 minutes early, but everyone watched me awkwardly climb onto the bus and we pulled away as soon as I sat down. That was rough start to the day, which happens to be Friday the 13th.

We took the bus to BMW Werlt (World) which is the BMW history museum and base to pick up a newly ordered BMW car. The weather was miserable; it was pouring and soggy... in fact, I ruined my comfortable dress shoes just from walking from the museum to BMW Werlt. We had a few hours before the tour to do what we wanted within those two buildings, which was pretty cool. Everything was high tech, pristine, and pleasant to look at.

Before the tour, we had to have a quick lunch, so my friends and I went to one of the cafes in BMW Werlt, where I got an arugula salad. I didn't realize that it wasn't lettuce or spinach, so I was surprised by the bitter taste I got from it. We ate where there was a strong wifi hotspot from the building (it was a really touristy kind of place), so there wasn't much discussion as we were trying to catch up with news at home.


Fog galore 


Not sure why this stuffed race car driver even existed, let alone was in such a creepy position







The BMW bathrooms were very weird to me. I walked through the sink part, thinking how clean it looked, but it wasn't until I was using a sink that I realized why it looked so clean--everything was hidden. There was a mirror about a foot off the wall horizontally, under which were the paper towels and soap. So from the room, you could only see the the sink. It looked so clean. Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I've been in a gross bathroom yet! So many bathrooms in the US are icky and you don't even want to touch the door handles, but here, I have not had any problem with that! Maybe it's because you usually have to pay to use the bathrooms... I will continue to use the word pristine because I can't think of any better word to describe this type of thing.

There was a really cool thing that was all around Munich, especially in the BMW parking lot. It was like a motorcycle but with a roof and windshield. So a motorcycle/car hybrid. It blew my mind, and I wanted to ride one so badly, or at least sit on one but was never given the opportunity. I also couldn't snag a high quality photo so shoutout to Google for this one:


BMW obviously gives factory tours really often since we got headsets again and the tour guide had a microphone. We got to watch all the steps of a car being put together, from the electric portions, to the frame, to the seats and finishing touches. We followed the conveyor belt the whole way. My favorite part was watching the cars being painted. There was an arm spraying paint with these finger like robots on the sprayer head. The fingers electrically charged the paint, and the car was the opposite charge. Because of this, there was no wasted paint, as the paint was attracted to the car right away. It was completely mind blowing.

You don't realize how much you use units until you have no idea what people are talking about. By this, I mean there should totally be a worldwide measurement unit.  The BMW tour guide was telling us how things were measured in kilograms and kilometers. That means nothing to me... It would take us several minutes to work out what it would be in terms we understand, but by that point it usually wasn't worth it.

We had some chance afterwards to play around in display cars in BMW Werlt so a few friends and I sat in a bright orange car and cranked up the example music and danced in the car... until we were told to tone it down by one of the guys working there... oops.
We had the pleasure of sitting in several BMWs, probably the only time I ever will

We had dinner on our own again tonight, so a big group of us went to an Italian restuarant in central Augsburg called Aposto. You could order a person pizza with different toppings on each half, so I ordered 1/2 margarita pizza and 1/2 tomato pie. I got judged by everyone for ordering the tomato pie half (it's pizza without the cheese... just sauce and bread). What can I say? I didn't eat pizza until college because of the cheese's texture (it shouldn't be gooey!) and so now if I have the option I like a good old throwback to my past 17 years.  For dessert, Lindsey and I split a traditional dessert called spaghetti eis. Dennis said that Germans don't actually eat it, but we wanted to try it anyway since the books say they do... It is vanilla icecream that looks like it's been squeezed through one of those Play-Dough things that creates hair. So it's vanilla icecream that looks like spaghetti with strawberry syrup drizzled over it and a wafer. Most desserts come with wafers, from what I've noticed.


Dinner itself was amazing and fun and delicious. Until the end. Half the table left as soon as they got their individual checks, leaving the rest of us to pay for whatever was left. That half of the table forgot that we ordered bottles of water for the table; you have to pay for water everywhere and it really sucks. So in the end, we had over $40 of unpaid water, which we all had to temporarily cover. While we were trying to figure out the water situation, one of the waitresses dropped another table's wine on the floor, splattering it ALL OVER mine and Lindsey's backs. I could squeeze out my shirt with wine. And it got in my hair. We figured we'd get free dessert or something because of it so we asked our waitress, who said that we would have to stay and order something separately to get it for free, but since we were "at her table" we couldn't get our already ordered dessert for free. It didn't make any sense to us. Not sure if it's a German thing or a restaurant thing that I'm not aware of but it was really frustrating. Since the rest of our group was leaving and we were full, Lindsey and I just went with everyone else.

Veronica's Struggle of the Day: 
Well. I almost got left at the hotel. Then I fell off the seat I was sleeping on while on the bus. And the wine situation. But, I got off relatively unscathed after Friday the 13th!

No comments:

Post a Comment